top of page
  • Writer's pictureJohn Larrimer

Can I Choose My Own Doctor If Injured at Work?

If you find yourself injured at work, the steps that follow can involve a lot of confusion. Is my employer responsible? How do I file a workers’ comp claim? Who will treat your injuries? This process can be stressful, but there are some questions you should ask to direct yourself in the right direction.

What should I do after I’m Injured at Work

  1. If you are not an employee: Independent contractors are not eligible for workers’ comp. If you are an Independent contractor, there are still options for you to gain compensation including a personal injury lawsuit. Many employers are also guilty of misclassifying employees as contractors.

  2. Notify your employer: You should file a written accident report immediately. It is very important to collect the details of the events leading up to your injury for your case.

  3. Notify the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC): You want to file a First Report of Injury form with the BWC.

After these steps are completed, a workers’ comp case has been initiated. You may find that contacting a ohio workers’ comp attorney will make the process much easier, especially in the case that the BWC or your employer contests your injury claim.

Can I Choose My Own Doctor?

As long as your doctor is certified with the BWC, you may choose your doctor. If your doctor of choice is not registered, you may look on the BWC’s website to find a registered doctor near you. You may also change doctors if necessary.

The workers’ comp process can be very complicated, and a Columbus workers’ comp attorney can make sure you are getting the most out of your case, and offers a stronger defense in the event your claim is contested.

9 views0 comments


bottom of page